Monday, April 11, 2016

Let's Talk Food!

This is probably the question I get asked the most--"What do you eat??"

So let's look at what a typical day of food looks like for me.


7/7:30am - Breakfast

I love oatmeal!  So I eat it for breakfast every day.  I change it up so I don't get bored with it.  Pictured below is a Banana Nut Oatmeal.  1/2 C of oatmeal (I use quick oats), 1 C boiling water, spoonful of local, raw honey, ground flax (I don't measure this, just sprinkle it on), cinnamon (again, no measuring), one banana and a handful of sunflower seeds. Delish!

Other combos I have come up with are:

1/2 C oatmeal, 1 C boiling water, spoonful of local, raw honey, flax and cinnamon.  Sometimes I'd throw in a handful of nuts, but I'd mostly enjoy it plain.

1/2 C oatmeal, 1 C boiling water, spoonful of local, raw honey, cinnamon, flax, 5-6 strawberries cut up, 1/2 a banana.

The options are really endless when it comes to oatmeal!


10/10:30am - Snack

My morning snack is typically an apple and a handful of almonds.  Sometimes I'll swap out string cheese for one of them, just for variety.

12:30/1pm - Lunch

I have become a bit of a salad wizard!  I eat salads for lunch every day.  And I LOVE them!  I am constantly creating new varieties and they are so versatile, it's hard to feel bored with them.

This is a citrusy salad that tastes like summer!  50/50 organic spring mix/spinach, chicken cooked up in olive oil in the skillet, 2 cuties, blueberries and my homemade Lemon Oregano Viniagrette.


This is one of my favorites.  Spinach, chicken, peas, tomatoes, sunflower seeds and my Lemon Oregano Viniagrette.  Sometimes I'd also just use balsamic vinegar splashed on top followed by a drizzle of olive oil.  Yum!


This is the same salad as above, only with the 50/50 spring mix/baby spinach mix.


Spinach, chicken, blueberries, cottage cheese.  So simple.  So good!


Spinach, 1/2 an apple, blueberries, cottage cheese, sunflower seeds.


3/3:30pm - Snack

Snacks are simple.  I typically mix up my morning and afternoon snacks just to feel a little variety.  So in the afternoon I typically have either a handful of almonds and piece of fruit, or string cheese and almonds, or fruit and cheese, you get the idea.  I also like having plain greek yogurt with some raw, local honey with a squeeze of lemon and some nuts.

5/5:30 - Dinner

Dinner is always my biggest challenge.  I found this frozen Birds Eye pack that is with brown rice, and has no preservatives or anything I can't have in it.  Score!  Stir fry is an easy way to get in more veggies and also feels non-diety, which is nice.  Chicken, the Birds Eye pack, more veggies, and Bragg's Liquid Aminos gets you a very healthy and delicious dinner.  Not to mention quick and easy!



If I'm not feeling too tired after work, I will just cook up some chicken in the skillet, make some whole wheat pasta and a salad.  Not only is this all on the Healthy Food List, again, it doesn't feel diety.  It feels like a normal dinner.


One of my favorites to make is burgers and fries.  I'd mix up burgers like normal, except I would eat it without the bun.  I would use ketchup for dipping.  Ketchup is on the Neutral Foods List, which means I can have it, just in small amounts.  Sweet potato fries are something I never knew were so easy and delicious to make.  I'd just cut up the sweet potato, spread it out in one layer on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary.  Then back at 450 for 15 minutes.  So good!  Add a small salad and you're sitting pretty.


I could eat steak every day.  But I save it for myself for special occasions, or just to have something to look forward to (haha).  Obviously you'll want it with onions and mushrooms.  And I also paired this with the sweet potato fries and a small salad.


Many times I would just make scrambled eggs or omlets.  It's an easy way to get protien and veggies.  It's also a nice option if you had a heavier lunch, since it's such a light meal.  My favorite combo is 2 eggs, spinach (sometimes kale), tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.


And then there are the times I would just have another salad for dinner!  Dinner salads are a little bulkier.  Pictured below is one of my faves.  Lettuce mix, taco meat, tomatoes, cheddar, plain greek yogurt (you'll never know it's not sour cream), guacamole, tapatio.  Talk about a party in your mouth!  I've also done regular tacos, only in a leaf of romaine lettuce instead of a tortilla.  Surprisingly good!


7/7:30 - Snack

Many times I want something sweet in the evening.  So I'll have a protien bar.  Pictured is my favorite.


I've also had smoothies for an evening snack and to satisfy a sweet tooth.  The one pictured is 1 scoop Vanilla Trim Shake, pineapple, mango, spinach, Vitamin D, and a scoop of plain greek yogurt.  I have a weakness for ice cream.  I've found that making delicious fruity smoothies and putting them in popsicle molds satisfies this.


Another great evening snack is popcorn.  I like it with salt and Bragg's Nutritional Yeast. Sounds weird, tastes like cheese popcorn!  Only instead of cheese you're consuming B Vitamins.  Amazing!


Extras:

I've mentioned above my Lemon Oregano Viniagrette.  Here's the recipe for that.  1 1/4 C Olive Oil, 1/2 C & 2 Tbsp Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard, 15 drops doTERRA Lemon oil, 5 Drops doTERRA Oregano oil.


I find that cooking up a bunch of chicken for salads all at once makes it really easy to make my salad on the go in the mornings before work.  I fry mine up in a cast iron skillet with olive oil.  I sprinkle them with sea salt, pepper, and Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb.  Once cooked up, just cut up into small pieces and put in the fridge.  Then in the morning simply throw your salad together and away you go!


And there you have it.  Obviously there are countless variations, and this isn't a complete list at all.  I've had so many varieties and variations in my meals!  Hopefully this will help those of you who are about to join with me on this journey in your meal planning.


No comments:

Post a Comment