Monday, January 25, 2016

I Almost Died Today



Okay so it wasn't a carrot, it was almonds.  But as I staggered up the walkway to my apartment with tears running down my face, a paste of chewed almonds in my windpipe, making the most horrendous choking/gasping for air/coughing noises, all I could think of was this meme.

And that I'd really like a donut.

Yes.  You read that right.  I was thinking about how I wanted food while I was choking on food.  What can I say, it was a low point!

Today is Day 15.  So far I can honestly say I have been doing pretty good!  I've found it not that difficult to eat 6 meals a day (although it does get in the way of my Sunday naps...I now have to set an alarm to get up and snack), it's also been pretty easy to follow the food guidelines.  What hasn't been easy is the exercise.  I have never been a physical person.  I can remember countless times when I was a kid and after dinner we'd go for a Family Walk.  This wasn't your typical stroll around the block, or even the neighborhood.  We'd go all over the place.  I was constantly trailing behind, sometimes up to half a block, and my family had to regularly stop and wait for me.  So for me to be able to say that I've worked out 6 of the last 8 days is HUGE.  

That said, I don't think I've been pushing myself enough.  The goal is to work out hard enough that you can't carry on a conversation.  I've pretty much been doing the leisurely stroll thing.  I realized at my weigh in today that maybe I need to step it up.  I didn't lose any weight this week.  While I'd like to say "that's cause muscle weighs more than fat", I'm pretty sure it's actually just that I'm not doing enough.  Without testing this theory by taking a stroll and talking to myself to see how out of breath I am, I decided to pump it up a bit today.

Okay.  That's not exactly true.  Today I woke up with a cold of some sort as well as some other things going on that pretty much made me decide I just wasn't going to work out today, I was going to lay around as much as possible.  For reasons I am unsure of (maybe my subconscious is out to get me?), I text my sister-in-law, who also happens to be my coach, that I was failing today.  It was 3pm and I'd only eaten breakfast and half of lunch and I'd not had any of my water yet.  By 3pm I should have already had breakfast, a snack, lunch and another snack, as well as over half of my water for the day.  Her response was simple and frustrating.  "Don't text me again until after you've worked out."

I text this woman multiple times a day.  I am alone the majority of the day and I like to tell people what's going on in my life.  So I tell her.  All the live long day do I tell her!

Luckily for me, I was not at home when this conversation happened.  But I didn't text her again.  And when I got home I decided "to heck with it!", put on my workout clothes (read: pajamas and tennis shoes) and put in Turbo Jams.  

Now...I'd not done this workout before.  I haven't done any real work out in, ohh...maybe 3 years??  But my roommate said I could borrow it and it was "real fun, basically just dancing". My first indication that this was not going to be "real fun, basically just dancing" was that when I put the disc in, a huge warning flashed across the screen--DO NOT DO ANY WORKOUTS WITHOUT DOCTOR CONSENT.  IF YOU FEEL ANY PAIN AT ANY TIME, STOP THE WORKOUT IMMEDIATELY.  DO NOT DO ANYTHING YOU FEEL IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR YOU."  I pretty much just wanted to say "okay" and turn it off.

But I didn't.  I let some lady in a sports bra and painted on pants yell at me about how much "fun" we were having.  And let me tell you...I have NEVER seen anyone dance doing the moves she was doing.  I made it 20 minutes before I found myself just standing there sweating and panting and wanting to lay down and not die.  So I turned it off and did just that.  Layed down, not died!  I'm supposed to workout for 30 minutes a day.  I'm counting it though.  That was the most intense thing I've done in years!  Also--I think I pulled something in my back...

All that to say, what started out as my worst day so far, turned out not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment